February 11, 2012

Historical Marker of the Week: Skirmish at Snow's Pond

by Josh

Kentucky Historical Marker 2023
The elusive marker

The best part of looking for historical markers is the searching. It is like an endless Easter egg hunt but instead of chocolate you get history. Which might not seem as cool but tell me the last time history made anyone fatter.

The Kentucky Historical Society provides a great resource for those (myself) wanting to go on their (my) own hunt: Historical Marker Database.

Sometimes, you are given a very exact location such as right side of courtyard lawn. Other times it might just say something like "Interstate 64." Thanks, database! I sometimes wonder if the site is run by a oil company because of all of the gas I have wasted. Which brings me to this week's marker.

According to the database its location was "Old Lexington Turnpike, halfway between Walton & Richwood." I searched that little stretch of road countless times. This was the last marker I needed to complete my journey of finding every marker in Boone County. I even went as far as to search other stretches of Old Lexington Turnpike nearby as the database perhaps got their details wrong.

It all came down to vandalism. Apparently, the sign was taken down because somebody or somebodies was a jerk or jerks. I only found out because a newspaper article mentioned the grand unveiling of the new, less marred marker. But then a week after its debut, I decide to drive by to complete my checklist and I find this.

Almost Kentucky Historical Marker 2023

The ceremony was apparently delayed because of rain. But do not fear faithful reader, I eventually got it. I can feel your jealousy from here, heh. Now on to the history...which is always in progress.

Skirmish at Snow's Pond
Marker Number 2023:
During 1862 Confederate invasion, rebel forces under General Basil W. Duke searched for approaches to Cincinnati. On September 25, 1862, over 500 attacked a federal camp here commanded by Brig. Gen. Quincy A. Gillmore. Many USA prisoners were marched to Falmouth and transported to Lexington, then the regional headquarters of CSA. Presented by Jack Rouse.
I do not have too much to add to the marker this week but I do have a few factoids:

  • It is believed to be only one of two Civil War conflicts to occur in Boone County.
  • Shots were fired but there were no causalities.
  • It seems that the location of Snow's Pond is now just a muddy area, as it has been filled in. That is the problem with history, it goes away.

For those wanting to learn more about the Skirmish at Snow's Pond, Jack Rouse's book The Civil War In Boone County, Kentucky seems like a great resource. Page 23 is particularly interesting, as it is a map of the area where the conflict took place.














































Pppht, Google Earth wishes it looked this good.

6 comments:

  1. That map is fantastic. I like the handful of freckles representing Union.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've stopped by the marker many times, including today...and just try to imagine what is was like that day on Sept. 25, 1862. Thanks Jack Rouse for work well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does anyone own the property where the pond was? I'm looking to get permission to metal detect the area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My GGG-Grandfather, Martin Langton, from Dundee, Michigan, was taken prisoner at this conflict.

    Enlisted as a Private on 22 Aug 1862 at the age of 18. Enlisted in Company H, 18th Infantry Regiment Michigan on 26 Aug 1862. Promoted to Full Corporal on 6 May 1864. Promoted to Full Sergeant on 1 Nov 1864. Taken prisoner and paroled at Snow's Pond, KY on 25 Sep 1862. Mustered out Company H, 18th Infantry Regiment Michigan on 26 June 1865 at Nashville, TN.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My great-great-great grandfather, Martin Langton, from Dundee, Michigan, was taken prisoner at this conflict.
    Enlisted as a Private on 22 Aug 1862 at the age of 18. Enlisted in Company H, 18th Infantry Regiment Michigan on 26 Aug 1862. Promoted to Full Corporal on 6 May 1864. Promoted to Full Sergeant on 1 Nov 1864. Taken prisoner and paroled at Snow's Pond, KY on 25 Sep 1862. Mustered out Company H, 18th Infantry Regiment Michigan on 26 June 1865 at Nashville, TN.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My great-great-great grandfather, Martin Langton, from Dundee, Michigan, was taken prisoner at this conflict.
    Enlisted as a Private on 22 Aug 1862 at the age of 18. Enlisted in Company H, 18th Infantry Regiment Michigan on 26 Aug 1862. Promoted to Full Corporal on 6 May 1864. Promoted to Full Sergeant on 1 Nov 1864. Taken prisoner and paroled at Snow's Pond, KY on 25 Sep 1862. Mustered out Company H, 18th Infantry Regiment Michigan on 26 June 1865 at Nashville, TN.

    ReplyDelete