February 15, 2012

I'm Josh Flowers, now watch this

by Josh

KFme

Hello Young Folk Rollers,

I realized I never actually introduced myself like Becky and Callie have. My name is Josh Flowers. I have lived in Kentucky 95% of my life. I love Kentucky. I love the history AKA the little weird facts that I can surprise people with.

I consider myself a filmmaker although even calling myself that makes me feel snooty, heh.

















That is Mr. Filmmaker to you.


I have directed, wrote and/or edited on many short films now. I am not quite for sure the number but at least forty. Some of them people have enjoyed and some well...they can't all be winners. I have even had seven of them shown on KET (Kentucky Educational Television).

I am really saying all this so you understand why I will post videos on this blog. Of course all videos will have to be related to Kentucky. I like chaos but in an orderly fashion.

The first video is "Fast Love." I made this for Valentine's Day in 2007. It is still (as far as I know) my most watched video.



2007 was the year I attempted to make a short film a month. Which was easy when you did not care as much about such things as video or audio quality, heh. This was the first finished one and definitely the most successful. Youtube featured it and it screened at many festivals, including SXSW.

The story of how it came to be is actually embarrassing (so Becky will love this). I was going to make this video about love for a girl I was dating at the time. When I first thought of the idea I knew it would begin and end with a drive thru but in between would just be people talking to the camera. At one point it was going to be me with a camera looking in a mirror...confessing uh my love or something to this girl. So dumb! Romantic, right? It makes me cringe thinking about it, heh.

I interviewed a couple of people and it just was not working. I had a problem as the month of January was ending soon and I could not fail at my goal the very first month. Then Saturday of the weekend before February I was taking a shower and it hit me, every interview should be in a drive thru.

I decided right away that a girl should go with me on this quest. A guy alone in his car with a camera is creepy but a guy and a girl in a car with a camera is a project. At least that was my take on human psychology, heh. I called a few girls and was not getting anyone to even answer (shut up Becky). Then my friend Lindsay Foltz did and agreed to this ridiculousness.


















Lindsay and I from 2007


We immediately went out the same day and went through a lot of drive thrus, all located in Northern Kentucky. I edited "Fast Love" the rest of the weekend and that was that. I was shocked so many people liked it. Spontaneity and I need to hang out more often.

So the basic point of this story is I chose a better video over a better Valentine's Day gift. And that is Josh Flowers. I am glad you could meet me, heh.

















This is my collection of food after making Fast Love. Yes, I bought food at every fast food place. But did I eat it? Not so much.

6 comments:

  1. Nice to meetcha, Mr. Filmmaker. Funny video. The best answer is a toss-up between "Canada," which obviously deserves to be loved (I'm not biased, no), and "I don't know" with an honourable mention for "Pearl Jam."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Frederik! I think the woman who answered "Canada" was definitely the best. She really made the video. If I remember correctly she was also the first one I talked to. I got lucky. I thought about at one point trying to track all of the people I talked to down and interview them on camera. Luckily I do not have enough time for that craziness, heh.

      Delete