March 29, 2012

The Better Half of the Final Four

by Callie

Well, wouldn't you know it - of those 7 local teams, 3 made it to Final Four. And! 2 are from here in Kentucky - so congratulations to the University of Kentucky and University of Louisville basketball teams!

And as soon as the UK/Baylor game ended on Sunday afternoon, the Facebook posts were about nothing but the impending game between the University and Kentucky and the University of Louisville - on Saturday at 6:00pm!

The first, most proud, and most unifying of these posts was:

man

But it wasn't long before all of these started (these are two of my favorites):

ukul

uluk

So, it appears as if most of my Facebook friends are a bit biased.

The annual regular season game between these two teams is aptly named "The Battle of the Bluegrass" and it dates back to their first meeting in 1913. It wasn't until the 1980's that they started playing one another each year, though. (I don't understand the divisions and conferences and stuff like that so I'm not going to pretend I do.) Of 43 games, UK has won 29 of them leaving only 14 for the poor Cards. Of all of these games, only 4 of them have been NCAA tournament games (and they each have 2 W's in that category). Saturday will be the very first time these two teams have ever met in the Final Four! I think this counts as Kentucky history, don't you?

So, although it might be silly for a girl that has gone to nearly every school BUT either of these, I'm ridiculously excited to watch it all go down. And, again, I'd sure like UK to win. I think it has something to do with their name...

1 comment:

  1. Louisville! They do not have a chance and they barely made it to the final four but still, Louisville!

    ReplyDelete