March 21, 2012

A Delinquent Blogger Talks March Madness

-by Callie

Up here in Northern Kentucky, we cannot escape the March Madness excitement. After all, 7 or the Sweet 16 NCAA basketball teams are from right around here. (Ohio: OSU, OU, UC, and Xavier. Kentucky: UK and UL. Indiana: IU.) Eventually they’ll all eliminate one another but, for the time being, people all over the area are having conflicting feelings. And, unfortunately, I’m one of them – over one game in particular.

On Friday night at 9:45 in Atlanta, GA, the #4 seed Indiana University (27-8) takes on the #1 seed University of Kentucky (34-2).

Now, I’m not a basketball maniac, but I have many fond childhood memories of watching UK basketball in the 1990’s when they were led by Rick Pitino. Our teachers would even let us watch the UK tournament games during class time if we promised to be quiet and do our work at the same time. While they’ve made it to the tournament for all but one year since 1992, they haven’t won since 1998.

And Indiana University… Well, that’s my school. I am an officially enrolled graduate student at Indiana University, although I’m living in Kentucky. Growing up in KY, I always hated IU out of principle and laughed at jokes about how stupid those Hoosiers are. I couldn’t predict that a life in Rabbit Hash would one day lead me to pursue a PhD in Folklore and that the only place in the US to do that is IU.

Up until becoming a student there, I have no recollection of how well the basketball team performed. All I remember is that they had an angry coach named Bobby Knight who was eventually fired. And didn’t he throw chairs?



Yep!

I also remember that during my first year at IU, the basketball coach was fired because of recruitment violations. It was quite a shame since they were doing pretty well that year. They have struggled since so I lost interest while I was living up there (unless I happened to find myself standing next to one of the players on the campus busses, admiring both his height and his fancy noise cancelling headphones). Anyway, it appears that they’ve picked up the pace and are making their first Sweet 16 appearance since 2002.

IU basketball really piqued my interest, however, on December 10 when, thanks to my new smartphone, I was obsessively checking Facebook while out to dinner with Becky and her sister. On that night, I noticed a disturbance: my Kentucky friends were sad and my Indiana friends were happy, but all of them appeared to be rioting.

And here's why:



Incidentally, this was the same night that my Ohio friends were discussing the knock-down, drag-out Crosstown Shootout between two other Sweet 16 teams, UC and Xavier:



Anyway, while fans all over Kentucky were reacting like this:



I love this meme.

The Hoosiers were creating "rap" videos:



This game was UK's only loss all season (until that small matter of the SEC tournament game that they lost on March 11) and, because of that, Kentucky has been a pretty happy, blue-colored place to live.

So, here I am on my porch in Kentucky looking across the Ohio River at Indiana...

on the porch

(with my dogs) in my camouflage UK hat and IU hoodie questioning my allegiance to both.

And after much pondering, it is now painfully aware to me that wherever I go and whatever school I attend or end up teaching for, I will always be a Kentucky girl - and with that comes the inevitable blue blood that happens to pulse through my veins every March.

So, sorry future alma mater and Go Big Blue! (Will this affect my grade...?)

2 comments:

  1. So on your Indiana blog did you pick IU?

    I cannot believe I just watched basketball clips. If basketball was 30 seconds followed by a rap and a popular internet meme I might actually start watching, hehe.

    I will be rooting for Louisville. When I say rooting I do not mean actually cheering or even watching but if they win it would make my Dad happy and I am rooting for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josh, how do you know about my Indiana blog? I thought that was a secret...

      It's a good thing you guys asked me to be part of this. Otherwise all of Kentucky (since I'm sure everyone reads this blog) would know nothing about March Madness.

      And I'll be rooting for Louisville tonight too and not only because I want your dad to be happy.

      Delete