June 25, 2012

Historical Marker: Woodford County

By Josh Flowers
Woodford County
Kentucky Historical Marker 1221
Last of nine formed by Virginia before Kentucky became a state in 1792. Original county taken from Fayette and extended as far north as the Ohio River; included the area of 7 present counties and parts of 4 others. Versailles was established as county seat by the first Kentucky legislature, 1792, and was named for Versailles, France.
County Named - For General William Woodford, a Virginian, commander of the First Brigade of the Continental army. Active in campaign to drive out Lord Dunmore, the colonial governor of Virginia, who later left the colonies and returned to England. Woodford was taken prisoner at fall of Charleston, later died in captivity under the British at New York, 1780.
Woodford County, KY
-Was the 9th county formed in Kentucky
-Notable cities and towns include Midway, Millville, Nonesuch, Mortonsville, Troy and the county seat, Versailles.
-It's population is around 25,000.
-It's total area is 191.98 square miles
The Woodford County courthouse located in Versailles.
Having spent very little time in Woodford County, I will just say that the city of Versailles looks great. It is almost like walking onto the backlot of MGM studios. One of the great places where when time was passing by, it must have blinked. Not much seems to have changed and that is the way I like it.

Progression is not always progress.
Before I get to my list of factoids I found interesting about Woodford County, I must admit it was hard narrowing it down. It has had and continues to have a lot of interesting things going on. I dread the day when I have to narrow down the counties of Jefferson and Fayette to 5 interesting bits.



My five interesting factoids about Woodford County, Ky.
5. Zerelda James was born in The Black Horse Inn located in Midway, Ky.
Formerly The Black Horse Inn.
She not only had an awesome first name but was also the mother of Frank and Jesse James. I guess Jesse liked her name too as the woman he married, AKA his first cousin from his father's side, was also named Zerelda.

4. John Conlee was born in Versailles, KY on August 11, 1946. He is a popular Country music singer who had 32 songs on the Billboard Hot Country Songs charts, 7 of which were number ones. His number ones were "Lady Lay Down," "Backside of Thirty," "Common Man," "I'm Only in It for the Love," "In My Eyes," "As Long As I'm Rockin' with You" and "Got My Heart Set on You." Just now while perusing his classics, "I Don't Remember Loving You" stood out to me.

3.Martin Castle/Castle Post
Ah, this fits in perfectly with everyone's vision of Kentucky.
This castle located in Versailles began construction in 1969. It was begun by Rex Martin a wealthy land owner who inspired by his recent international travels decided to build a castle for his wife. A gesture she returned by divorcing him in the mid 1970's with the castle only half built. 

I am not going to pick a side here. You could take the side of the man, I mean what grander gesture than building a castle for someone. But then there is the equally appealing woman's side, a man who builds a castle in the 20th century as a gift must be a crazy person.  Personally I like crazy people and would gladly accept a castle any day. I will remind you faithful readers of this when Christmas gets closer.

The castle laid dormant for 30 years. Thomas R. Post bought the castle in 2003 after Mr. Martin's death but before they could complete it, a fire broke out and burned it down. He did not give up though and finished it in 2009, opening it as a premier luxury inn.

2. William Shatner has a horse farm here that he spends most of his time at. The sightings of his around town are numerous. American Pickers even did an episode of their show where they decorated his home on the farm. If I respected people's privacy a little less I would hang around to meet him.
Safe for now.
1. Bourbon. Woodford Reserve, established in 1812, manufactured at Labrot & Graham Distillery, is the oldest of the nine bourbon distilleries in operation in Kentucky today. It is also the official bourbon of the Kentucky Derby.
Two KY staples in one.

No comments:

Post a Comment